Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Spell check, anyone?

It's always been a complete mystery how people can live their whole lives without knowing a single language.

What, you'll argue, are you talking about, CM? Everyone knows at least one language. It's not like there are people living without knowing what a tree, un arbol, un arbre, is! It's not like people go around without interacting with others, and to interact you need to have something in common with those others! That's what a language is! It can be a colour meaning, a symbol, plain words or body language.

Here's my argument: knowing a language is more than being able to blabber with other people. Knowing a language is being able to write it, speak it, and generally express yourself using that code without anything hindering the comprehension of your message (Communication and Publicity notes copy-paste, pretty much).

My question is, how can people appreciate and share their world fully when the only language they know is the spoken slang of a mix n' match language? Let's not even start with how they spell. I mean this in the strictest sense: how can anyone permit mistakes over and over and over again without once questioning the wording of their sentence?

Alright, fine. Let's concede that speech is more impulsive and direct and less thought-out than written word. That excuses the speech, but not the writing.

I am tired of reading misused homonyms. I am sick of poorly constructed phrases and terrible grammar. I am especially tired of reading spelling mistakes from grown adults whose job it is to teach us how to speak and write.

Perhaps over 18 years of my life I've grown into a cynic and an elitist? Perhaps my patience has worn thin towards those whom I used to fawn over? But where have the good spellers gone? Why am I praised amongst my peers for knowing how to write without making mistakes?

There was a time where such skill was the norm and less promised you wouldn't have a job. There was a time where not knowing the difference between 'their' and 'there' and 'they're' meant you were the school idiot.

Today, those who manage to get a passing grade in any given language are considered geniuses.

If that's so, what becomes of the others?

I'll tell you.

They consider themselves to bee merely unlucky, or victims of a system two advanced for them. They wish only too simplify a language that took centuries two build, because bending oneself too spelling is far to difficult and cumbersome.

Sou i get a 92.5% in a text analysis. On a total 210 students, i am the best. The group average fails by an single point (59%). The teacher gives me my text back. I glance down at it and consider that I've done better beefore.

The teecher, on his part, shakes my hand and tell's me he'd have gladly corrected my text for free and would happily doit again, just for the fun off it.

All a-round, people look down at they're grades and rejoice about getting a 60%. Other's wine and complain a bout unfair grading--nothing else can explain why there awesome analysis got a 32%. It doesnt make any since.

In the mail that knight, I recieve mail's from the colliege staff. They tell us about a mised rendervoux becoz they mixed up theyre schedules and have to push back the staf-student meetings. They tell us many of there upcomings classes is gonna be nice. A boy sends the hole student population a paniqued message bout his lost coat. Its black and green, he say's, with zipers and a hoode. The next message comes from the on-line technicians: the email services will be interupted temporarly becauze we have exceided our bandwidth and they half to delete some unecesary stuf.

Still online, I recieve a message from the college janitors. The water isnt good to drink, aparentally. The city is investigating the case, but fore now, we shouldnt drink from the fountians. Theyll mail us with up-dates as soun as they no more.

And round teh world, childs evreywere are taut that they half to get a good education to suceed in there lifes. They try sou hard too learn it wright, becoz they want two make plenty of money and bee powerfull and beautifull, so they can brague about beign smarter an better then other's.

Elsewere, those children of yesterdey are compleining about not nowing the difrence between too words, looking to they're parents for help, when those same parent's cant sea the mistakes either, becoz they werent taut any better.

Meenwile, a gril is praised because she knows how two spell. Shes asked where she learnt all of it. She looks around...

And frankly, she doesn't know.

Love,
CM

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Honestly, thank you. Whenever I get a good mark on English, or whenever I am able to explain the definition of a word and be able to spell correctly, I am promptly called a nerd by my classmates.

Hello?

Being able to spell, read, write, and explain the definition of a word now seems unnacceptable and "nerdy" in teenage society, and I don't know why. What the HELL is so nerdy about knowing your own language? It's honestly sad that one should not know the definition of a simple word like "optimism" in grade 11, is it not? And when I explain the definition of the word, people laugh and start to refer to me as a "walking dictionary".

Frankly, it pisses me off to no end.

Now that that's off my chest, I'd like to ask you to please not do that again. You know, with the consistent spelling mistakes and all. Its soooooo hard to reed, and it throughly confuzzles meh.
;)

--->Teh Desstned

P.S- Chapter 18 was insane. Just plain awesome.

CrazygurlMadness said...

I used to be called a walking dictionary by my classmates too.

Until I started thanking them for the compliment. It shut them up fast enough.

And you know, I spent half an hour trying to figure out how to badly spell my text. I won't do it again. It's a real big waste of time when your brain is programmed to write properly. XD

Love,
CM

P.S. Insane, you say? Dude. I love having my stories called insane. It's like ten times better than just good. Because it's like saying "INSANEly good". Sweet.

Anonymous said...

*laughs* it sems you're now a minor celebrity on ff.net, eh?

i know that had nothing to do with your post, but hey.

about your post: i think it's ok to spell and write like that in chat rooms or on msn or something, but not in real life. im not a grammar freak.

CrazygurlMadness said...

Minor celebrity? One can only hope.

At least, it's nice to receive positive feedback from one's peers. :)

And it's alright to speed up typing. Again, spontaneous speech can be excused for mistakes, but in thought-out written works, I am rather intolerant. If you had time to write something out, then you had time to check the spelling.

No excuses.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

OMG. YOU HAD ME SO TERRIFIRED. I THOUGHT YOU HAD GONE OVER TO THE DARK SIDE! But Phew. Thank god. Otherwise I'd have to have flown over to Canada, stalked you down and given you a good slap for letting yourself go like that. I seriously had a heart attack.

On another note, can I say that writing like that also pisses the sh*t out of me? For example, my friends regularly write 'dat' and 'dere' and things like 'omg itz soooo ugz pliz'. And I wonder if I was the only one instilled with good grammar ... (or maybe that's because my mother is an English teacher?)

Oh, and it's really sad; at school one day we were in tutor group (er - homeroom I think is the equivalent) and we were talking about something that invovled the words 'static' and 'acclaimed'. And almost half the class had to ask what those words meant. Honestly. If I hadn't heard it from you I'd think Australians are just overly dumb. Not that hearing it from you is going to change my opinion anyway ...

(Aussies are so freaking uncultivated it's not funny. You thought Stever Irwing's accent was bad? Hah! Think again.)

CrazygurlMadness said...

Uncultivated is the word. Every country has that sort of thing. Canada and the US strongly included.

It's even worse when you speak two languages and both of them get mutilated before your very eyes.

*shudder*

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. I could hardly even read that. Somehow, the distorted spelling morphed my mind's reading voice into a retarded foreigner's. And English isn't even my first language. My English teacher asks me what words are in English before looking them up on internet dictionaries. Any corrections he makes on my tests are frowned upon and corrected back. His accent is... well... it reminds me of the Dutch journalists at Eurovision Songfestival. I cringe every time.
And on a different note, yes, fluency as a whole appears to be dropping. The other day, a girl, 17 years of age, well-taught in not only Dutch and English but also French and German, and because she's in the highest school level, Latin and Ancient Greek as well, asked me what 'random' was.
Not kidding.
Random.
She didn't know.
I used to pride myself in having English contacts to practice my English on, but frankly, all I learned was how to 'grunge down' my grammar proficiency. Then finally, I found myself being taught new words in my own language (Dutch) by someone born and raised in Zimbabwe, native language English. Should I be ashamed of ourselves? Or should I comfort myself that, at least, I'm fluent at the two languages I know? (I've been taught three more, but I only manage it by pure improvisation.) I still wonder why school insists on teaching us four different languages, or six if you're a 'genius'. Maybe that effort would be better spent on just the two. Because we all know, our English accent is absolutely dreadful. That this extends to public figures and teachers doesn't help.
(I don't get it. I just *don't* get it. Our crown-prince spent over a year living in England and studying there, and his accent hasn't changed a *bit*. I can temporarily improve people's accents just by talking to them for fifteen minutes. I don't get it!)
However, I did find this post delightful in the way it pointed me towards all these rules I never understood but now can see for false so clearly I get confused just by seeing it spelled so. English had odd rules, but it's even harder to decipher *wrong* English. Dyslects have trained me on understanding the Dutch faults, but this is just scary. Especially how the sentences still make perfect sense as a whole, and the points are well argumented. Does. Not. Compute.

Erane

PS. Yes, I'm backlogging. I resisted the urge to comment for a long time. I caved. Sue.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you.

On my first day in Drama for the new school year, I said courtious and the whole class looked at me strangely. And the other day, my partner in Science was taking stuff out of his pockets, and I commented, "You hoard stuff, like a packrat, don't you?" and he said, "What's hoard? Or packrat?" I just face-palmed myself there. I'm also the only person in probaly my whole year who uses grammer properly while texting.

Also, in primary school, I was the worst speller in my class, even though I was the one who read the most and used long words. And English is my first language.