Saturday, April 21, 2007

Holy pancakes!

Am I keeping to the food theme this month? Ohohoho.

Anyway. I must say, weekends rock. Most projects I have due are being handled by my delegates (I am the kind of person who naturally takes lead, even though it is a role I particularly despise, because I'm a lazy bum), and as a result, everything is going just fine.

Since you were wondering (because I know you were), most of my crazy projects list has cleared up, leaving me with only: a radio show to invent with PB and three girls whose names I don't even know (Journalism); a training program (Gym) which is again more written work; a comic page that I will be the one to make because my partner sorely (very sorely) lacks any and all drawing skills (Comics); an expressive montage that was completed last week by one of my teammates (Movie-Making and Scenario ―more on that in a moment); and plenty of essays.

This means I am, temporarily, free of work. (Don't ask; it's too long to explain.)

Anyway, I think I found my vocation in life.

Alright, that seems cliché and seriously definitive. It's not. It's my current vocation, subject to change, blah blah blah.

But it's as serious as I've gotten in a long while where my career orientation is concerned.

I found out about my vocation in this class called Scenario-Montage, which was predictably split in two segments: the first was about script-writing, and the second was (shocking) about video editing in professional programs. Both aspects were, to me, most informative and interesting.

A lot of people, though, seemed to think scenario writing was a bore and the hardest thing in the world. Slim and PB, on their part, were above average, with grades around 80%. I was consistently the highest graded of the group at all times, with approximately 85%.

Note: Slim, PB and I were the only ones to consistently get above 80% grades. All the others were under 80% at all times.

Between kissing his girlfriend (I'll get to it) and annoying Josie, PB remarked, "Hey, CM, YOU're the one who beat me by five points!" He wasn't annoyed, though, merely giving me the I-should-have-known look.

See, that's the thing. I'm good at Scenario writing. The teacher has had no complaints. I lose points because I tend to write more than he wants us to write. I get carried away. Good points: my characterization and timing, as well as quality of dialogue and feasible ideas, are among the best he's seen.

Translation: I pwn at this stuff.

Maybe it's not completely fair to the others. I do have a lot of practice in the field of character-development and dialogue.

But get this. Pierre (our teacher and originally a scenarist himself) claims that out of every promotion, he's lucky to even interest one person in script-writing.

I guess that person'll be me. Seriously. If no one will do it, if my language and writing skills are above average, if I can write fun and good stuff, why not?

I would get to write FOR A LIVING. This would be above awesome.

Editorial aside, I don't think I've updated about PB and Slim's love lives (because I know you give as much of a damn as I do).

Well, they are both happily taken. And not by me.

OMG, CM, BUT THAT'S SO UNFAIR FOR YOU, you'll say. THOSE JERKS! WHO ARE THOSE B!TCHES WHO STOLE THEM FROM YOU?

Well, first off, chill. They weren't "mine" to begin with. Besides, as you're sure to find out soon, the irony brought about by life has soothed any possible wound I would have suffered from if I hadn't been over Slim in the first place.

As far as PB is concerned, he's dating a girl who's been hanging out with us for a while now. They're in on a bumpy road, what with their schedules being so crazy and all, but they're really sweet together, and I totally approve of them. Besides, PB hasn't gone anal-retentive in the wake of couple life, as opposed to...

Slim, on his part... Well, let's just say that this is what conversations with Slim looked like before he got a girlfriend:

Guy: Hey, isn't Drew dating this fourteen year-old?
Josie: Ugh, stop. That's almost like pedophilia. What do fourteen year-olds know about eighteen year-olds? They're worlds apart.
Slim: No kidding. It's not that they're immature or anything. It's just that there's no way they can relate. I mean, they're in the middle of high school, just learning to know about sex, and eighteen year-olds are ages ahead, going to drunken parties and preparing for uni.
Me: Well, they're losing their "innocence" sooner than they used to.
Slim: Even so. They can't relate. It's two different worlds, two different atmospheres. Fourteen year-olds aren't like eighteen year-olds, no matter how intent they are.

I'm having trouble not to laugh as I write this, because the sheer irony of his discourse is brought back to me constantly.

This is the conversation I heard, roughly three weeks ago:

Guy: Hey, did you know Slim has a new girlfriend?
Josie: What?? OMG, WHO IS IT? SLIM DOESN'T DO GIRLFRIENDS. He's married to his drumset!
Me: He has a girlfriend?

I'll admit I'm trying to be casual. My heartbreak was still a little sore, even though...

Guy: Well, you can just ask him. There he is.
(Enter Slim.)
Josie: OMG, SLIM, YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME WE'RE CHILDHOOD FRIENDS!
PB: *snickers*
Josie: PB, why are you laughing?
PB: Oh, nothing.
Me: You have a girlfriend, Slim?
PB: *snickers again*
Josie: PB, what's up with you?
PB: *looks at Slim, who has slumped into his chair and is avoiding everyone's inquisitive gaze* Well, you remember how he used to bash Drew about his fourteen year-old girlfriend?
(Long silence)
Josie: *turning to Slim* Oh. My. God.
Slim: *grabbing his head, shouting* I'M NOT PROUD, OKAY?
Me: *unable to keep an ironic smirk from coming on* Wait. How old is your girlfriend, exactly, Slim?
PB: *hooting* SHE'S FOURTEEN! *bursts into maniacal laughter*
Slim: I'M NOT PROUD, OKAY????
Josie: Wait, how come you're dating a fourteen year-old???
Slim: Actually, she turned fifteen last week. And don't ask. She got me drunk.
Me: Do you like her, at least?

I mean, this seemed like the most sensible question to ask.

Slim: Yeah, I guess. I mean, I'm not in love with her, but I do care. GODDAMMIT, I SOUND LIKE A GIRL.
Josie: *teasing* That's what you get for being a pedophile.
Slim: This is me leaving now.
Guy: Dude, you better stop bashing Drew now that you're as bad as him.

And Slim proceeds to look utterly miserable.

I should say that since then, he's had little other focus than drumming, work, and his girlfriend. All in all, no major change, save for the last detail. But it's made him cranky. Poor Slim.

And yet, on the day I heard about it, it didn't really register. Until last week, when Alex told me to warn Slim his girlfriend (who is turning out to be quite a handful for her parents) was going to meet him at the end of school. When I passed on the message, it occurred to me, finally...

Slim has a girlfriend. And it's not me. It's a fifteen year-old trouble-making prep.

And you know what's the funniest part about it?

I didn't give a damn.

I skipped on my way home. Like some sick version of the Sound of Music or something. I was grinning like a moron, thinking, "I'm free!"

And damn if I haven't been enjoying that freedom.

Now, if that cute blonde guy from my philosophy and English classes would just give me a second-look... He has begun talking to me more since last week...

;)

Love,
CM

P.S. The following setting is the basis for a oneshot I'm currently writing. Because god forbid I could focus on one story at a time or anything.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all... WTF?! HOW COULD HE DATE A 15 YR OLD!!! IT JUST DOESNT WORK.
...ok, now that thats taken care of, good for you, its always great to not have any work to do =)
Oh and, you should really TRY to make the first move, personally, i find it annoying that girls ALWAYS wait for the guy to make the first move, even if its completely obvious they like eachother. (Im a guy btw)
>>--Exadra--[>

P.S. The girl's parents are really gonna freak when they find out shes dating someone 3-4 years older than her xD

CrazygurlMadness said...

I didn't make the first move because somehow, I knew it wouldn't work. Don't ask how I knew. I just did. When it hit me, it hurt a little, but I'm all the better now.

My not-making-the-first-move is not exactly out of some misguided sense of romanticism, or because I'm old-fashioned. I just used my head and saw it would lead nowhere but to embarrassment.

At any rate, it's now that I realise I did well to shut up. His taste in girls (not women) was very telling.

And the parents did freak: she's grounded for two weeks or something (for that and various other things she's done, like get drunk at 3:00AM), so Slim is forced to meet her at her bus stop after the school day. He can only see her, like, fifteen minutes at a time, and this not every day of the week. It's absurd.

So I did well, ultimately. Don't go thinking, though, that I won't be doing the first move once I find a guy who is both interesting and interested. I can spot them easily now, thanks to the whole Bass debacle (possibly the only positive thing that came out of THAT).

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Subject line: Makes me want to bastardize the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch sequence of Monty Python and the Holy Grail into the Holy Pancake of, say, Montreal.

'And thou shalt pour the batter upon the gridle,
And thou shalt count to three.
Thou shalt not count to four,
Nor shalt thou count to two.
Five is right out.
'

The specifics escape me, but breakfast accompanied to choruses of "Hallelujah!" could be interesting. I don't understand why your posts inspire me to parody.

Schoolwork: Lucky you, having delegates. :) I lack minions and I'm a perfectionist micromanager, so I'm one unlikely to acquire delegates. Also cool that you're enjoying the writing. If you end up in film, maybe we'll end up working together. That would be awesome.

Slim: Glad to hear you're feeling relatively good about the situation.

--Scop

CrazygurlMadness said...

Oh, you're in the film industry, Scop?

And yes, "relatively good" is somewhat of an understatement.

As for the Holy Pancake of Montreal... Sick. Mom does make MEAN pancakes. She's reputed amongst friends and especially family.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

I'm an aspiring film actor. Been too busy with school for the past year to pursue film or theater, and I'm still settling after moving and getting my finances together... But soon I hope to get back into the swing of auditioning.

A note you may find of interest: a dear theater friend/director of mine is also a screenwriter. A lot of the work she does is ghostwriting, and re-writing other peoples' scripts for them. Projects can go through a lot of re-writes before they become a shooting script. That's the American film industry, at least; couldn't say if things are different in Canada.

Maybe we should call it the Holy Griddle Cake... It scans closer to the original.

CrazygurlMadness said...

Heh, I wish you the best of luck, then!

It doesn't matter what type of writing I would have to do. I don't mind revisions (freaky, but correcting peoples' stuff is almost as fun to me as writing my own --a fact that many of my friends have taken advantange of in the past, not that I mind).

It's likely the film industry is similar everywhere. There aren't a thousand ways to make a movie; a script needs to be in working order and will continue changing until the day of the shoot itself. I expect that. It's alright.

I think we need to keep to the Holy Pancake. Pancakes are just that much more special. I mean, they're pancakes. You don't just change pancakes like that. You need a special permission from the Order of the Pancake, and since they're settled in France, god knows how much paperwork THAT represents. ;p

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

You have a point... The last thing we need is a heresy. I mean, remember the Flapjack Schism; I'd just as soon avoid all the persecution, debate, and bad blood. And all over the rhythm of the name.

--Scop

CrazygurlMadness said...

Oh, don't remind me of that particular episode. I remember having to wrestle two friends apart from one another because they just couldn't agree on who was right in that whole debacle.

They haven't spoken to each other since.

XD

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the food titles? XD They make the posts yummier to read! Ok, not exactly like that, but you get what I mean. =P

About schoowork: Yay for you! All your classes sound very interesting, specially the comic one, but I'm biased. LOL Glad you have some free time for yourself; about time others did some work too.

About Slim: "Never say never". Like, Murphy's law just hit him. Hard. Bwahah. And I think you're dealing with it just fine. =)

And last... a plug-in:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/54001936/

I know is not OiH related, but... I got to do something. Hah. ^^u And I have several for 'Summit' already started; just hope I get enough motivation to actually *finish* them. XD

Re,

- Aoi