Monday, May 21, 2007

Shad's Eyes are Blue!

Dark blue, actually. I owe thanks to The Destined and Stephanie for answering this ultimate question (and okay, you too, Scarlet, but only because you make awesome Jell-O) by taking time out of their busy schedules and looking at the game disk because I'm too incompetent and lazy (ahem) to do it myself.

I promised, as thanks, to dedicate a haiku to them and forward a thank you message written by the Linkster himself. The haiku was a little dusty, but it was there in my stuff, begging to be shared. Here goes, and don't laugh. There's a reason I don't do poetry.

The bread in my mouth
Tastes like ashes―

I need a new toaster.

Deep, innit?

Okay, you can stop laughing at me, now.

Do not ask what I was on when I wrote it. It was probably late in the evening, and I might possibly have been procrastinating. And making toast.

At any rate, my procrastination tactics have improved. My being on vacation does allow for more time to, theoretically, be spent on writing. So I need more elaborate ways of not doing what I both enjoy and seek to avoid at all costs.

Like drawing.

I'm not the most prolific artist, but I typically do one of two things when I'm not listening in class: I write or I draw.

For instance, my love of LoZ and AUs (mostly a combination of my two loves) gives stuff like this. (For full view, Right-click and "Save Picture As", or the equivalent in your browser.)

Right-click and 'Save Picture As' to view it fully.

And okay, it's fun to draw when I should be writing, or write when I should be working. There's a hierarchy here.

Before you ask, the symbols on his sleeve spell out "Courage", and the ones on the bottom are my initials, "CM".
I wouldn't put my real initials, though they appear on the original sketch.

There's something about drawing a singing (or screaming ―depending on your views) Link that makes you ponder the all-important "what does Link's voice sound like?" Because no one really heard it. And screams don't cut it. My screams dont sound like my talking or my singing. (Spare me cracks on my singing, please.)

(Because how would you know whether or not I have talent for singing?)

(Oh, hush. Just don't say anything, alright?)

I bet Link's voice is kind of boyish ―you know, adult but not deep and rumbly. On the mellow, boy-next-door side. Sort of like your typical punk rocker's singing voice.

Except Link wouldn't be a punk rocker. Would he?

Eeesh. If I knew anything about the world of music, I'd probably seek to explore that particular mystery about Link further.

After much searching and harassing our favourite Hero of All Things Awesome, he finally agreed to send me this. The thank you note for those who helped me find Shad's eye colour, I mean. I may or may not have used threats to get him to agree.

Right-click and 'Save Picture As' to view it fully.

I should, of course, have considered the fact that Link writes in Hylian, not in English. Oh, sure, he included the Old Hylian AND the New Hylian spellings, but that gets us nowhere, does it? But it's okay. I researched the letters online and found this is what it translates to:

"On behalf of CM, even though I don’t know why she asked me to write you a note, since I have nothing to do with her, thank you for finding Shad’s eye-colour.

"Um. Whatever. That’s just stupid.

"Excuse me. I have to go kick some moblin butt.

"May the Triforce be with you.
"Link

"P.S. No matter what this Zelink thing she is talking about happens to be, concretely, I believe I want some."


I think I shouldn't have bothered him during training. Then again, you can't blame him for being so curt. You can totally tell he just has to turn his back one minute for the foes of Hyrule to spring forth in throngs. No rest for him, huh?

Maybe he'd be better off as a punk rocker. At least he'd be shoving off rabid fans instead of rabid bulblins.

;P

Love,
CM

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. He turned out really good.

(His ears are round. That's the only thing that bothers me, but considering you do AU's I'm prepared to believe that was deliberate.)

I think I agree with you on Link's voice--adult, but not particularly deep. Kinda typical for anime-type male leads, and on the harsh and breaking side when he gets loud and/or angry.

Nice haiku, too.

CrazygurlMadness said...

Yup, his ears are round. And of course, it's because it's AU. If he'd had his green cap, you totally know I'd have drawn him with pointy ears.

But I mean, he's singing in a mic. That's AU enough to warrant him rounded ears. ;)

YES! We agree on his voice! That's exactly how I pictured it. Um... well, you can't picture a sound, but you know what I mean.

XD The haiku. Yes. Uh-huh. Let's leave it at that. I just don't know how to qualify it. Heh.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Consider Cloud's voice (Steve Burton) in Advent Children. Compare to Sephiroth's and Vincent's when they show up (George Newbern and Steven Jay Blum*, respectively), which are much deeper. I'm not sure where this tendency comes from, but it gives me some benchmark for my favorite silent protagonist.

*whose considerable voice credits also include Wolverine, Tom from Toonami, Spike Siegel, and Ares, interesting to note

--Scop

Name said...

XD I love the haiku. I couldn't say why... though, on the other hand, perhaps I could... it's certainly a bright spot compared to all the tragic Bronte poetry I've been reading of late.

I envy you your skill in drawing! The picture's marvelously executed. I keep having to remind myself its Link, but the point is trifling, =D

Anonymous said...

Tsk, CM, you're too talented for your own good. I love to draw and write, but I've been getting a little rusty at it lately...when I should be paying attention in class, I write little excerpts of random story ideas in the margins and draw many meaningless little pictures. I think the best part of that picture is the hair, personally. His hair is so damn hard to draw. :p

And although I laughed when I read the haiku, it was because I thought it was really, really cute. XD Thanks for that. And that letter, too...really nice. How did you get those Hylian letters, anyway?

--->The Destined

CrazygurlMadness said...

Yes to Steve Burton, but perhaps with a little bit more emotion. XD His interpretation of Cloud in Advent Children was spot-on, but I do imagine Link as slightly more expressive, articulate, and drastically less 'emo' than Cloud.

What can I say? I like thinking that Link is cheerful enough most of the time. Heh.

As for the haiku, I guess it was a rebellious reaction to depressing and deeply emotional poetry that seems to be spewing up online all over the place. I think it's way more fun (and a tad more difficult) to write humour in poetry than it is to write tragedy. Maybe that's why I wrote it. Don't expect more any time soon, though.

As for drawing, eh, thanks. It's good to doodle, but that drawing was bothering me for the past few days, begging to be drawn. It happens, sometimes. I'm glad though, because it actually turned out nicely for once. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good for a one-day thing. Not to mention is was my first time CG-ing and completing a drawing. I was pretty proud. So thank you. *takes a bow*

I like his nose. Heeheehee!

As for the Hylian fonts, I downloaded them. They're available just about anywhere, if you look carefully. You can get bundles of TP Fonts, including the GC and the Wii versions (they're mirrored).

Only downside is that not all punctuation marks are included, which can be a real hassle.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

EEEEEEEEEPPP!

--Scarlet

(I know my comments are not exactly constructive, but hey, I think my brain is melting. *pokes brain* Totally. Like Jell-O.)

Anonymous said...

Agreed on Steve Burton. Link seems pretty stoic to me, but he's no cranky emo-head like Buster Sword Spikey over there.

Yeah, I think Link's relatively cheerful. But WW and TMC Links I keep interpreting as trickster figures... It's those up-to-no-good smirks they wear occasionally.

--Scop

CrazygurlMadness said...

Yeah, I so knew you were stalking me, Scarlet. Now get back in line. You're embarassing yourself. And wipe that drool off your face. ;p

Oooh, Scoppy, those prankster smirks are cuter than hell anyway. Makes me think Link might be a confident, tricky (and sexy, but I'm not sure you want to hear that, considering you're a guy) type.

But let's not forget a side of determination (cue Link's "I'm so gonna kick your arse, Death Mountain" over-the-shoulder look from TP). So awesome. That shot was totally what did me in for good.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

My day is ruined.
http://www.news1130.com/news/national/article.jsp?content=n0523146A

Sometimes I just want to move to Antarctica...

--->The Destined

CrazygurlMadness said...

Oh, my god. I hadn't heard. I didn't listen to the nightly news today.

It wasn't someone from your school, I hope? Either way, I can't believe the huge number of school shootings have happened over the past twelve months. You'd think they're starting a trend or something. Not to mention it was a pretty small school.

And the kid was just 15 years old. I hope they find the guy who did this and give him the trial he doesn't even deserve.

In the meantime, don't let it ruin your day too much. There's nothing we can do but wait for the police to do their job. If they're good at one thing, it's finding criminals.

My heart goes out to you and all Torontonians.
CM

Rensa said...

That school shooting sucks. I hadn't heard - it didn't make its way down here :/

As far as the drawing goes: damn, you have some serious talent, CM. But Link can't be emo - I might not swing that way, but it would break all my childhood dreams of heroism (honed by years of escapism with LoZ games, of course) if Link turned out to be a sooky-sooky la-la.

... aren't haiku 5-7-5?

CrazygurlMadness said...

Yes, haiku, if you follow the strict English rules, are 5-7-5. But if you read the Japanese definition, it's way more lenient on that front. Mostly, a haiku is a three-line poem which tries to convey a state of mind.

And no, Link is not emo, in spite of what people seem to believe. I mean, just because of the end of TP, it's like all of a sudden he'd turn suicidal. Gimme a break.

Your dreams of heroism are safe.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Actually, that school was in the really "bad" area of Toronto, so sadly, if something bad was going to happen, it was going to happen there. It was on the news all evening and all night. I don't go to the school or know the victim, but I do know a few people who go there. The newscast was live on the school property, and they said that the kids were still in the school in a lockdown and it was 6:00 in the evening...what's worse, they even filmed the reaction of the victim's mother when she was told her son died...I can't even imagine the pain that these people are going through.

We haven't even gotten over what happend at Virginia Tech, and then THIS happens...

Anyway, thanks for your sympathy.

--->The Destined

CrazygurlMadness said...

What do you mean, they filmed the mother AS she got the news?? How heartless and disrespectful can these people get?

I knew a few people who went to Dawson too, when the shooting happened there. None of them were injured, but they were still very upset.

I didn't have time to watch the news today either. Work shift and all. Maybe it's better that way.

Love,
CM