Wednesday, June 06, 2007

FG teaser

Odds are that with my current interest in Fighting Gravity, it will reach its end as OiH did. As a result, I've finally decided that I could begin unveiling the background of this story.


FG is set in a futuristic Hyrule, where technology has evolved. The Hylian Alliance, which had until then united the eight countries of Twilight, Calatia, Holodrum, Labrynna, Hyrule, Termina, Minish and Waker is falling apart, shattered by the Guardian Alliance, self-proclaimed Guardian of the Future. Civil war has taken the Hylian Alliance and divided what had until then been strong friendships.

The story mainly follows Captain Link Forester and his subordinates, mechanic ***** and navigator *****, of the weakened Hylian Alliance Air Force, as they struggle to bring peace to troubled times alongside a fugitive princess, a young aristocrat savant, a pickpocket, and some other colourful characters.

Notably, FG will be the first story (of mine) in which so many of Link's various incarnations appear as seperate characters.


One might argue that this background sounds a lot like a Final Fantasy game. I won't deny it: it's true the idea for a lot of the technology was inspired by that franchise, though I assure you it will not be a crossover, or even a retelling of a FF game with LoZ characters. This story is a standalone sci-fi fantasy story, with inspirations from all kinds of sci-fi/fantasy sources. This includes Final Fantasy and Star Wars, among others.

For those who are concerned, because most LoZ sci-fi stories don't turn out that well in the fandom... well, it's a risk I'm taking. I think it's pretty damn good so far (I'm writing chapter 4 at the moment), and it should have enough material to last a while.

Yes, perhaps a second OiH would be safer and would have a better chance of succeeding, but I don't want this to be compared to OiH. I can't keep writing stuff that will constantly evolve in the massive shadow of Only in Hyrule. This needs to be different, and it will.

I hope when the time comes you take that little risk and read it. Who knows? You might actually enjoy it. ;P

Love,
CM

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm down with this. :) Colorful characters are good. Looking forward.

--Scop

CrazygurlMadness said...

Thanks. I'm doing my best to make it good. 8D

Love,
CM

Hanna said...

I'm really looking forward to your new story (your other ones haven't disappointed me yet ^^)

My respect for you has also grown immensely because of your decision to write a story that's not a branch-off of OiH (although it is an EXCELLENT story, I thought that your conclusion was well-thought out and satisfying). I'm sure that your story will make a name for itself with all the hard work your putting into it.

Anonymous said...

Writers who don't push themselves to explore new material will eventually fall into the trap of losing readers because they end up doing the same thing every time.

Your decision to do what you're doing, therefore, is an excellent one, both in the level of glee it creates in your fans, and in the way it will allow you to evolve your writings. So it's a good idea all the way around!

Not to mention you have yet to write anything that turned out to be anywhere close to utter crap, so... yeah. Totally not worried.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone wants you to write another OiH. That story was great, but a clone of it would just devalue both that story and OiH. Risk taking's always good, too. If JK Rowling never took a risk, we wouldn't have Harry Potter. If Franklin D. Roosevelt never took a risk, the US would still be in the great depression. Hell, if those first brave microbes never decided to wing it and evolve, we wouldn't even EXIST.

...Yeah...
Very much looking forward to FG. Have as much fun writing it as all of us will reading it! ^_^

~InkMagic~

CrazygurlMadness said...

Ay, I'm so glad to see you're supportive of this. :D

The ultimate sign that things are fine is that I daydream about the story and try to find ways to write while on the job. That's what I did for OiH. It's proof I'm hooked (this is very good news, for you and I both)!

After I'm done watching Apocalypto (so what? procrastinating is also an excellent sign!), I'm going back to writing FG.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy and Star Wars...by jove I believe I've soiled myself

Anonymous said...

Hell, I'd read any story you write, regardless of the genre. FG sounds like it's gonna be awesome, and totally different from your other works.

Speaking of other works, I actually got around to reading your story, "Pirate" on FP. Even though I did notice that the quality wasn't as good as it is now, it's pretty impressive. It's a shame you didn't get a lot of reviews, because it sure deserved more attention....It's just really amazing to see how much your writing style and the quality of your work has changed since then. It also reminded me slightly of "Privateer".

Just keep in mind that you're a fantastic writer, and don't let anything bring you down!

--->The Destined

CrazygurlMadness said...

Yeah, that story is old. So old. It was more of a "ooh, I'm done with exams―let's write something to get my mind off schoolwork" than something I ever thought would be published.

And it's old. I keep it there to remind me of why I need to keep improving. ^^

Love,
CM