Thursday, March 27, 2008

Iznogoud

My computer, Iznogoud, has decided that now would be a wonderful time to DIE ON ME. It kind of just sputtered and died. It pretends that it's running, but it actually isn't. Nothing loads. Nothing starts, and it's not, unfortunately, a mere dust problem. I know this because I actually opened the casing and dusted it just yesterday.

To no avail. And I REALLY hate dusting computers. Seriously. Q-tips are SO not the most efficient way. The cotton always gets stuck and frankly, my PC wasn't even that dusty to start with. So I know it wasn't a problem with overheating.

Which means it's something even worse. That's uncool. Very, very uncool.

So right now I'm using Dad's computer, whose keyboard settings AREN'T EVEN SET TO THE CANADIAN MULTILINGUAL as default. What the hell is up with that?? What kind of Canadian uses the English (US) settings?

Oh, I guess it's 'cause Dad doesn't write in French. STILL. What's up with the apostrophes?

Thankfully, I did a quick change and now I can type at my usual speed and not feel retarded for doing weird signs instead of commas. And apostrophes.

Anyway. It's something I consider a curse. Everything goes to hell every time Dad's away on business trips. Oh, you NEVER get any problems when he's there. It's like an electromagnetic field of happiness is tied to him, and when he's not there everything pretty much goes haywire.

So overall the DVD players keep skipping, my computer is dead, the shower faucets suddenly don't work (?!?), the front door won't open from the outside, and my mp3 player has developed a personality. (Let's not even mention the rental car Mom had to take while her actual Honda Fit is at the garage because some idiot rammed into it.)

Inanimate objects, especially electronics, tend to develop a personality in my presence, though, so this is nothing unusual or surprising. Still, the fact that they become BITCHY can be a little unnerving.

That said, my computer being dead suddenly revealed to me how bereft I am without it. That damn piece of machinery pretty much contains the essence of my existence, in the form of my music, games, videos, pictures, and especially my word documents.

That's right. I CAN'T EVEN WRITE MY STORIES while the bloody thing is on mental vacation.

Or open email attachments. Because this is my dad's computer.

Oh, I could do as Slim did all Easter weekend. One night, when he was over here to get work done (hahaha hear the excuse?), we ended up playing on the Wii for a couple of hours. He'd brought over Smash Brawl (which had given us a bad case of the excited screaming on the phone when he'd told me of this acquisition) and in exchange I'd shown him No More Heroes.

Oh, by the way, if you own a Wii and never played No More Heroes, you are SERIOUSLY passing up on one of the best games ever made. I'm not even kidding. I don't make a habit of recommending games or anything, but honestly, folks.

NMH is like the mind-numbing, hilarious, violent videogame that will not only make you feel infinitely better about gaming, it'll also deliver mind-blowing gameplay, extremely satisfying blood showers, crack-me-up one liners, deliciously funny situation humour, and it'll all be wrapped-up in a funky graphic style. Its borrowings from other games are well-placed, and its numerous references to huge cultural icons will keep you smirking or outright laughing throughout. The bosses are as eclectic and developed as graphic novel characters, and the fights keep you on the edge of your seat and your heart in your throat. The game also introduces a hilarious way to use the Wiimote speaker.

Sure, it for a mature audience, but I would NOT pass this up if you can handle a little sexual innuendos and gory violence.

Anyway, I showed Slim this game. I figured he'd be all 'meh, been there done that' about it. After all, he has played just about every game that ever was at least once. (He even played more Zelda games than I, and we ―in the quiet and secrecy of our one-on-ones― exchange numerous geeky facts about the series. Like that time where we listed all the MM masks and tried to remember how we acquired them. It was nerdy and mind-wracking.)

But Slim was not only interested, he also vowed he would purchase the game as soon as he could, because, and I quote, "THIS IS SO BADASS".

I didn't expect him to keep to his word, but the next day at school he stood from his table, came over to me, and said, "You'll never guess what I bought."

And ever since, we've been talking ―to everyone's utter confusion, for so many infidels have never tried or seen the game― about NMH. We were, until recently, racing to see who would become the Number 1 Assassin before the other. I was winning for a while, sitting comfortably on number 5, but then he made me bite the dust: he played NMH all Easter weekend, and reached number 3.

I wanted to call on cheating, but since we'd never established actual rules, I couldn't blame him. The game is ADDICTIVE.

So now that my computer's in the throes of agony, I guess I ought to catch up to Slim.

BUT DAMMIT, WHY DID IZNOGOUD HAVE TO DIE?

Love,
CM

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you're not just projecting onto your electronics and plumbing? ;)

Man, don't get me started on Brawl. That game nearly destroyed two exams for me; after three days of non-stop play I had a mini burnout on it and stayed away from it for a week. Now I'm back to something akin to normal, healthy play ^^

I'll have to look into NMH. I've heard a lot of talk about it but it skipped under my radar, as my game purchases tend to be few and far between.

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was the only one.

My computer died on me last month in just the same manner - nothing would open save Microsoft Outlook, and even that would freeze before starting up properly. But that was alright because I still had my laptop, my brother's laptop, and my dad's computer.

Then my laptop wouldn't type the letter y (think 'Outube' and 'Ahoo' and 'Thehlia'), and my brother's laptop finally collapsed under too much FFXI playing, and dad’s desktop went on an Internet sabbatical half a day before I had to submit the most important scholarship OF MY LIFE.

And on the personalities of the non-sentient: has it ever happened to you that your computers snap out of screensavers the moment you pass them by?? O_O It's like my laptop was tuned to my wavelengths or something.

Technology is a weird thing.

- Chrysalide

Anonymous said...

I have another friend online who's been having some computer trouble to. She told me that anytime she goes near the family computer it'll lock up. Only for her. Any one else tries to use it fine, but if she gets within two or three feet...

I love Brawl! Unfortunately, I have this little thing called self-control that (seriously here) is driving me crazy. I literally can't sit down and play for more than a couple of matches before I get the urge to get up and do something else. I HATE it. I still don't have all the characters unlocked, and I got it the day it came out:(

I've heard of NMH, but it's one of those games that looks so over the top I ignore it. On top of that my best friend recommended it. He's the type of guy that'll recommend crap if it fascinates him for more than a day, so I tend to stay away from whatever he's playing. But, maybe I'll give it a look, next time I'm in a buying mood. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just checked out IGN's NMH review; it looks pretty awesome. The stylistic focus reminds me of Viewtiful Joe (except slightly less awesome). Might have to give this one a go :D

I think I'm the only one here who rubs technology up the right way. My lappy's been going strong without any serious problems for a good two years now XD

Also, hands up who else thinks the Zelda tracks in Brawl are awesome?

Anonymous said...

I just used the word awesome three times in one comment. Go me!

CrazygurlMadness said...

@Rensa: NMH is awesome anyway. It deserves the term. Go play it. Now.

@Chrysalide: Yeah, dad's computer is here for me... *paaat paaat*

My PC used to be my best companion. I'm sure his decision to go on sabbatical was a serious health problem as opposed to resentment aimed at me. (Actually, I know this because it's a triple problem: video card, power supply AND mother board are d-e-d dead; Iznogoud was old, after all).

@Louis: Hey, I don't even OWN Brawl yet. I only ever played Slim's copy.

PLAY NMH. PLAY NMH. PLAY NMH.

@Rensa again: *hand raised* Awesome.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Both hands up! I love the Zelda music.

SirJoshizzle said...

Let the record show that CM named her computer. :p

I love the orchestrated Hyrule Field theme from Brawl, esp. the part with the violin strings plucked. I love the soundtrack in general. Had to put the trophy mode theme on my blog just to hear it when I'm not playing. I'm a sucker for cool elevator music.

Enjoy Life and Smile.

CrazygurlMadness said...

@SJ: Yes, I named my computer... We name our computers in order to be recognizable on the LAN. Mine was Iznogoud, my brother's was Spiffy, my dad's was El Diablo, and our scanner-printer-old-n-slow PC was Plopo.

And as soon as Dad and I finish building my new computer (!!!) I shall tell you all about it and its name, fear not.

Love,
CM

P.S. Lyx is even better in the naming department.(Flowerpot, Lyx! Enough said.)

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with naming your computer :P Though granted, mine's called a bit less origional; Personal Companion.
Granted, my ipod; frogster, is much cooler ;P

~moshie