That title, by the way, is a Quebecer onomatopea for nothing in particular, mostly the sound of something loud and sudden.
As I sit here typing, my brother is blearily shutting his computer off. He's sick as hell and had to stay home sick today, which doesn't change much to my life except I thought, "Hopefully he won't be passing that on to me." Heartless, yes, I know, shame, much shame on me.
I've been faring quite nicely since last Friday, in case you were wondering. There are no hard feelings between Josie and I (I managed to forgive her when I found out her flavour of the month had a girlfriend), and things between Slim and I remain unchanged.
Well, as unchanged as they can be, considering that I don't have a crush on him anymore.
The world, as a result, is somewhat happier. I feel light and free (to flirt with guys who actually look back at me―oops). My friends are my best friends, the sun shines bright, and my skin has never been this soft (thanks to a lovely moisturizing cream, which is an essential part of a woman's handbag if she wants to get through the Quebecer dry winter days).
Maybe I'm deluding myself. Maybe I'm suddenly going to find out I'm actually manic-depressive and if Slim doesn't start loving me I'll commit suicide.
But, you know, I highly doubt it.
Tomorrow is Valentines Day. I figured I might as well get that out of the way. As you might have expected, I won't be doing anything of any remote relevance for that (neither are any of my friends, as a matter of fact, not even Kitty and Alex, who are legitimately dating, not even Josie, not even PB, not even Slim).
Still, there's the whole 'Who's your valentine?' debate in college. Our lovely school decided it'd be a great way to make us happy during the dreary months of winter, so they organised a kitsch mailing system, for you to write free cards and have them sent to your sweetheart(s).
Except, you know, it's so kitsch.
Still, my friend Eva, who is such a romantic, along with Josie, decided to send Kitty and I Valentine cards, to express their friendship.
I was sitting across from Kitty in the cafeteria, with Alex and PB sitting nearby, discussing nothing in particular, mostly the good ole days, when Rick came in and said, "Hey, CM. I think you got mail." He raised his brows. "As in, mail."
I blinked at him stupidly. I'm kind of forgetful in the domain of holidays (or self-proclaimed ones), so I'd kind of forgotten about Valentines Day for a moment there. I blinked again. "What?"
Rick said, eloquently, "There's a list of people who need to go fetch their mail at the desk. Your name is on it. Duh."
I blinked again. "I have mail?" Because, seriously, I hadn't sent anything to anyone and didn't expect anyone to send me anything.
Rick said, bringing a hand to cup his mouth conspiratorially, "I think it might be..." He glanced around comically, "Bass."
I grimaced. "Oh. Say it ain't so."
Rick (now that I think about it, where did he hear about Bass in the first place???) said, "Well, it could be. Who knows?"
"But he moved on!" I exclaim. "Right?" Except in that moment I wasn't sure anymore, and I didn't want to look like a sissy, picking up silly valentine cards at the desk in the main hall. I turned to Kitty. "Come with me, please."
Kitty sighed and stood. To her boyfriend, Rick and PB, she said, "Excuse us, boys."
I think words do not describe my relief to find out that Kitty and I both got cards only from Josie and Eva, and not from Bass, as Rick assumed. We both read them, with their friendly sappy messages, and then I glanced up at Kitty and said, "That's nice of them."
Kitty nodded, finishing her own cards off. Then, she looked up.
There was a silence.
Then, Kitty asked, "You didn't send anything to them either, did you?"
I couldn't help an anguished smile. "No. You?"
"Hell no."
We turned on our heel, right back to the desk and ordered free cards to reply and make sure we weren't being complete ice cubes. That's the problem with Kitty and I. We don't care for silly cards, but the girls always guilt us into sending some. Doh.
As retaliation, though, we got the boys to leave extra notes in the margins of our cards, so you can imagine the silly comments (Alex: "Happy Valentines, you fat Kwebeker sow," PB: "PB is a sex-beast," and Rick: "Stiff camel to all, and to all an ankylosis!" ), which added a certain je-ne-sais-quoi to my own Valentines poem (translated as close as possible to the original):
Sitting across from Kitty,
As I sit here typing, my brother is blearily shutting his computer off. He's sick as hell and had to stay home sick today, which doesn't change much to my life except I thought, "Hopefully he won't be passing that on to me." Heartless, yes, I know, shame, much shame on me.
I've been faring quite nicely since last Friday, in case you were wondering. There are no hard feelings between Josie and I (I managed to forgive her when I found out her flavour of the month had a girlfriend), and things between Slim and I remain unchanged.
Well, as unchanged as they can be, considering that I don't have a crush on him anymore.
The world, as a result, is somewhat happier. I feel light and free (to flirt with guys who actually look back at me―oops). My friends are my best friends, the sun shines bright, and my skin has never been this soft (thanks to a lovely moisturizing cream, which is an essential part of a woman's handbag if she wants to get through the Quebecer dry winter days).
Maybe I'm deluding myself. Maybe I'm suddenly going to find out I'm actually manic-depressive and if Slim doesn't start loving me I'll commit suicide.
But, you know, I highly doubt it.
Tomorrow is Valentines Day. I figured I might as well get that out of the way. As you might have expected, I won't be doing anything of any remote relevance for that (neither are any of my friends, as a matter of fact, not even Kitty and Alex, who are legitimately dating, not even Josie, not even PB, not even Slim).
Still, there's the whole 'Who's your valentine?' debate in college. Our lovely school decided it'd be a great way to make us happy during the dreary months of winter, so they organised a kitsch mailing system, for you to write free cards and have them sent to your sweetheart(s).
Except, you know, it's so kitsch.
Still, my friend Eva, who is such a romantic, along with Josie, decided to send Kitty and I Valentine cards, to express their friendship.
I was sitting across from Kitty in the cafeteria, with Alex and PB sitting nearby, discussing nothing in particular, mostly the good ole days, when Rick came in and said, "Hey, CM. I think you got mail." He raised his brows. "As in, mail."
I blinked at him stupidly. I'm kind of forgetful in the domain of holidays (or self-proclaimed ones), so I'd kind of forgotten about Valentines Day for a moment there. I blinked again. "What?"
Rick said, eloquently, "There's a list of people who need to go fetch their mail at the desk. Your name is on it. Duh."
I blinked again. "I have mail?" Because, seriously, I hadn't sent anything to anyone and didn't expect anyone to send me anything.
Rick said, bringing a hand to cup his mouth conspiratorially, "I think it might be..." He glanced around comically, "Bass."
I grimaced. "Oh. Say it ain't so."
Rick (now that I think about it, where did he hear about Bass in the first place???) said, "Well, it could be. Who knows?"
"But he moved on!" I exclaim. "Right?" Except in that moment I wasn't sure anymore, and I didn't want to look like a sissy, picking up silly valentine cards at the desk in the main hall. I turned to Kitty. "Come with me, please."
Kitty sighed and stood. To her boyfriend, Rick and PB, she said, "Excuse us, boys."
I think words do not describe my relief to find out that Kitty and I both got cards only from Josie and Eva, and not from Bass, as Rick assumed. We both read them, with their friendly sappy messages, and then I glanced up at Kitty and said, "That's nice of them."
Kitty nodded, finishing her own cards off. Then, she looked up.
There was a silence.
Then, Kitty asked, "You didn't send anything to them either, did you?"
I couldn't help an anguished smile. "No. You?"
"Hell no."
We turned on our heel, right back to the desk and ordered free cards to reply and make sure we weren't being complete ice cubes. That's the problem with Kitty and I. We don't care for silly cards, but the girls always guilt us into sending some. Doh.
As retaliation, though, we got the boys to leave extra notes in the margins of our cards, so you can imagine the silly comments (Alex: "Happy Valentines, you fat Kwebeker sow," PB: "PB is a sex-beast," and Rick: "Stiff camel to all, and to all an ankylosis!" ), which added a certain je-ne-sais-quoi to my own Valentines poem (translated as close as possible to the original):
Sitting across from Kitty,
Staring at Rick's cell phone,
PB feels silly,
And Alex is in the zone.
People in the cafeteria
Are so loud.
Join my hysteria,
We're a crowd!
Friends forever,
But if you ever
Send me more cards,
Frichen you with regards.
This is at my most sarcastic, and hopefully Eva won't get mad at me. Kitty's message was somewhat more tame (if still a little abstract), discussing the pertinence of drinking lemonade in the late afternoon.
We then posted the cards, and got to drawing Smurf mushrooms and flowers on Mitch, Rick and PB's arms with blue pens, so that they could not enter a classroom without being stared at. This was our vengeance for their constant joking.
But that's all there is to Valentines Day on this side of the planet. I decided, rather than bitch against this western commercial holiday, to be nice and simply post about our favourite subject to all: Romance. Why, yes. You read that right. I, CM, will now give my view on romance, because of course that's all that matters.
Hah. Like I'm in a state to discuss romance, you'll say. You just got your heart broken last week, you dope. You'll be pessimistic.
Do I sound pessimistic? Of course not! Heck, I haven't felt this good in months. I finally feel like I'm back in power! That crying fit got me back on track and I'm healthy again! I'm listening to songs that I sped up so that they sound like they're sung by hamsters! I'd have to be the weirdest depression case in the world if I listened to hamster voices while deeply saddened.
(By the way, Red Red Wine, by Bob Marley, when sped up, rocks my socks. Yes, it's so passé, and so totally reggae, but come on. It's awesome. It makes me happy. You can't see it, but I'm dancing in my seat.)
This is at my most sarcastic, and hopefully Eva won't get mad at me. Kitty's message was somewhat more tame (if still a little abstract), discussing the pertinence of drinking lemonade in the late afternoon.
We then posted the cards, and got to drawing Smurf mushrooms and flowers on Mitch, Rick and PB's arms with blue pens, so that they could not enter a classroom without being stared at. This was our vengeance for their constant joking.
But that's all there is to Valentines Day on this side of the planet. I decided, rather than bitch against this western commercial holiday, to be nice and simply post about our favourite subject to all: Romance. Why, yes. You read that right. I, CM, will now give my view on romance, because of course that's all that matters.
Hah. Like I'm in a state to discuss romance, you'll say. You just got your heart broken last week, you dope. You'll be pessimistic.
Do I sound pessimistic? Of course not! Heck, I haven't felt this good in months. I finally feel like I'm back in power! That crying fit got me back on track and I'm healthy again! I'm listening to songs that I sped up so that they sound like they're sung by hamsters! I'd have to be the weirdest depression case in the world if I listened to hamster voices while deeply saddened.
(By the way, Red Red Wine, by Bob Marley, when sped up, rocks my socks. Yes, it's so passé, and so totally reggae, but come on. It's awesome. It makes me happy. You can't see it, but I'm dancing in my seat.)
(EDIT: In researching the story of Red Red Wine on Wikipedia, I realised that Bob Marley never actually interpreted the song. It was Neil Diamond, in spite of lyrics and P2P sites' claim to the contrary. So, correction. It wasn't Bob Marley, but Neil Diamond.)
So. Romance. Or, more precisely, romance in the context of LoZ (like you didn't see that coming).
I won't pretend that I converted over to some other sect. You might have guessed by now that I'm a fervent Zelinker. I'm not the most aggressive fan, I'll admit, in spite of my stubborn use of the pairing. I'm not the kind who bites Malinker heads off, or who burns effigies of Marin on a beach. I don't shoot darts at Saria's picture. I don't eat fish while thinking of chopping up Ruto. I don't glare at muscular women thinking that Impa is undeserving. I don't hate tanned women because they remind me of Nabooru.
I must say that I'm a believer of friendship. Just because Zelda gets the dude doesn't mean the others become her obvious ditzy enemies. I think I've tried to portray this quite evidently throughout my works.
On V-Day, I think it's crucial to underline a rather lovely fact: the Malink vs. Zelink wars seem to have come to a general peace accord, and no longer seem active. People, as far as I've seen, have cut each other some slack. The wars that all but raged a few years back (around 1999-2000) have actually calmed down to become a "paint your side of the fence any colour you want, but let me paint my side in my own colour."
Which, you know, rocks, because we all know how long conflicts can last online.
All was dandy, and then came TP. Because things just couldn't be simple, could they?
(TP SPOILER WARNING AHEAD, and I'm warning you just in case.)
So now, my Zelinkage (sure, it's a word, yeah) has been deeply shaken. I mean, let's face the facts: Link meets with Zelda total of three times in the whole game. Two out of the three times, he's in Wolf form, and to screw up the odds, our lovely princess is stacked against two more femme fatales to add to Link's impressive harem: Ilia and Midna.
Am I implying that Midna or Ilia might be more plausible as love interests for Link in TP? I don't know. I'm still a Zelinker, but you got to admit that hints point at something entirely different this time around. Does that mean that for the overall series, Zelda is no longer Link's interest? Hell no.
But can we deny that Ilia and Link sort of had that special japanese "childhood friends" thing going on? Can we deny that Midna and Link spent a hell of a lot of time together over the game, often sharing some rather touching and friendly moments?
BUT CM, you'll hurry to shriek, Ilia didn't remember him half of the time, and Midna was an imp!
Yes. And Link worries (as far as we can deduce) for Ilia, depressed that she doesn't remember him, and they "share a private moment" once he does restore her memory. On the other side of the spectrum, did you see Link's silly (and slightly iffy) smile when he sees Midna in her true form? Excuuuse me (I couldn't resist, I'm sorry), but that's not a smile that says, 'Wow, Midna, I'm happy you can go back to your kingdom now and that all these ordeals are finally over'.
Let's not even get into the whole, "Link... I..." Midna debacle. I can picture the translators sitting back at their desks, over at NoA and saying, "Hey, guys, these are the last few lines of dialogue in the game. How do you think we should translate this?" I can imagine them innocently exchanging smirks, saying, "Oh, think we can mess with their heads just a little more?" "Oh, alright. Let's hint at something else, Bill."
That's probably how the line was born. Because I imagine them snickering, going, "ohohohoho, yesh, yesh, thish will be vunderful," and drinking a martini.
So what now? Midna and Ilia are messing up the natural order of things, and they're making me doubt my own ship. Okay, not really. But they're giving us a lot of room for interpretation. I personally find it kind of upsetting that, for the game that was most characterized, where we expected them to finally make the Zelink pairing official (I know you're with me on this one), they instead chose to avert the issue completely and make it even more complex by not adding just one new lady, but two.
My conclusion is that Nintendo likes to mess with our heads. If you've been following the whole Timeline theory war, you'll know where else Nintendo likes to mess with us. Seriously.
How will this newfound Love Quartet (Link-Zelda-Midna-Ilia) affect my fanfiction, you might wonder, considering that I don't deny Midna and Ilia's legitimity?
Well, I won't burn them. I love them as Zelda characters, but they're not automatically going to end up with Link. In my stories, I mean. I personally find Midna a more interesting character to include in fanfiction (and I might already be writing her in--but that's a secret for now) but I won't discard Ilia either.
Being that TP is still so recent in the fanfiction overworld, I'm curious to see (after it's done spawning all the prequels and sequels that are seemingly mandatory to the fanworld) how the new elements integrate. Maybe it'll inspire me.
Or maybe I'll just keep doing my thing and write more AUs with the yummy broader palette of characters...? ;) I find I kind of like that idea. What do you think?
Much love to all (singles and couples alike),
So. Romance. Or, more precisely, romance in the context of LoZ (like you didn't see that coming).
I won't pretend that I converted over to some other sect. You might have guessed by now that I'm a fervent Zelinker. I'm not the most aggressive fan, I'll admit, in spite of my stubborn use of the pairing. I'm not the kind who bites Malinker heads off, or who burns effigies of Marin on a beach. I don't shoot darts at Saria's picture. I don't eat fish while thinking of chopping up Ruto. I don't glare at muscular women thinking that Impa is undeserving. I don't hate tanned women because they remind me of Nabooru.
I must say that I'm a believer of friendship. Just because Zelda gets the dude doesn't mean the others become her obvious ditzy enemies. I think I've tried to portray this quite evidently throughout my works.
On V-Day, I think it's crucial to underline a rather lovely fact: the Malink vs. Zelink wars seem to have come to a general peace accord, and no longer seem active. People, as far as I've seen, have cut each other some slack. The wars that all but raged a few years back (around 1999-2000) have actually calmed down to become a "paint your side of the fence any colour you want, but let me paint my side in my own colour."
Which, you know, rocks, because we all know how long conflicts can last online.
All was dandy, and then came TP. Because things just couldn't be simple, could they?
(TP SPOILER WARNING AHEAD, and I'm warning you just in case.)
So now, my Zelinkage (sure, it's a word, yeah) has been deeply shaken. I mean, let's face the facts: Link meets with Zelda total of three times in the whole game. Two out of the three times, he's in Wolf form, and to screw up the odds, our lovely princess is stacked against two more femme fatales to add to Link's impressive harem: Ilia and Midna.
Am I implying that Midna or Ilia might be more plausible as love interests for Link in TP? I don't know. I'm still a Zelinker, but you got to admit that hints point at something entirely different this time around. Does that mean that for the overall series, Zelda is no longer Link's interest? Hell no.
But can we deny that Ilia and Link sort of had that special japanese "childhood friends" thing going on? Can we deny that Midna and Link spent a hell of a lot of time together over the game, often sharing some rather touching and friendly moments?
BUT CM, you'll hurry to shriek, Ilia didn't remember him half of the time, and Midna was an imp!
Yes. And Link worries (as far as we can deduce) for Ilia, depressed that she doesn't remember him, and they "share a private moment" once he does restore her memory. On the other side of the spectrum, did you see Link's silly (and slightly iffy) smile when he sees Midna in her true form? Excuuuse me (I couldn't resist, I'm sorry), but that's not a smile that says, 'Wow, Midna, I'm happy you can go back to your kingdom now and that all these ordeals are finally over'.
Let's not even get into the whole, "Link... I..." Midna debacle. I can picture the translators sitting back at their desks, over at NoA and saying, "Hey, guys, these are the last few lines of dialogue in the game. How do you think we should translate this?" I can imagine them innocently exchanging smirks, saying, "Oh, think we can mess with their heads just a little more?" "Oh, alright. Let's hint at something else, Bill."
That's probably how the line was born. Because I imagine them snickering, going, "ohohohoho, yesh, yesh, thish will be vunderful," and drinking a martini.
So what now? Midna and Ilia are messing up the natural order of things, and they're making me doubt my own ship. Okay, not really. But they're giving us a lot of room for interpretation. I personally find it kind of upsetting that, for the game that was most characterized, where we expected them to finally make the Zelink pairing official (I know you're with me on this one), they instead chose to avert the issue completely and make it even more complex by not adding just one new lady, but two.
My conclusion is that Nintendo likes to mess with our heads. If you've been following the whole Timeline theory war, you'll know where else Nintendo likes to mess with us. Seriously.
How will this newfound Love Quartet (Link-Zelda-Midna-Ilia) affect my fanfiction, you might wonder, considering that I don't deny Midna and Ilia's legitimity?
Well, I won't burn them. I love them as Zelda characters, but they're not automatically going to end up with Link. In my stories, I mean. I personally find Midna a more interesting character to include in fanfiction (and I might already be writing her in--but that's a secret for now) but I won't discard Ilia either.
Being that TP is still so recent in the fanfiction overworld, I'm curious to see (after it's done spawning all the prequels and sequels that are seemingly mandatory to the fanworld) how the new elements integrate. Maybe it'll inspire me.
Or maybe I'll just keep doing my thing and write more AUs with the yummy broader palette of characters...? ;) I find I kind of like that idea. What do you think?
Much love to all (singles and couples alike),
CM

















13 comments:
Love and good wishes to you too on this V-Day, CM.
(Did Bob Marley originally do "Red Red Wine?" The only version I've heard, to my knowledge, is by UB40, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were covering Marley.)
Zelinker myself, but I like to say that I see plausability in the other pairings. As to Ilia... What I notice, is that in Wind Waker, Link's eyes are green. But seeing as how our boy seems to get reborn constantly, he could end up with Zelda on more than one time around the reincarnation wheel.
--Scop
Whoops, I'm sorry. I just checked, and it's in fact Neil Diamond, not Bob Marley. I was deceived by lyric sites! Nonetheless, I listened to (and hamsterized) the original version, yes, not a remix or a mashup.
I'm not sure about the colour of Link's eyes in TWW, considering that most of the time, they were black. The reflects, on my screen, looked blue or grey at times. It's hard to tell, and to be honest I'm not a canon fan to the extent of going back to check. At any rate, I think I can still write Zelink stories, since most of my stories are AU anyway. ^^
Love,
CM
I sang a line from a Neil Diamond song yesterday, prompted by something one of my classmates said, but I can't recall what it was or what she said.
In case you're interested, an interview where WW Link's eye color is mentioned is here; the specific comment from Miyamoto is about 3/4ths or 7/8ths of the way down the page. "Edit > Find" function of IE can be handy at times. I must have first read it in interview text on WW's official site (I am such a nerd, remembering this...). But at any rate, if you compare Link's eyes to Tetra's, you see a definite blueness to hers.
And of course, please do keep writing Zelink like you do. I think it's safe to say that you'll still have readers. :D
--Scop
Psk, psk and PSK. Zelink all the way. Out of the two, I must disagree and say Ilia is the more convincing in terms of pairings. Still. My argument still remains that it is ZELDA that Link is constantly putting his neck on the line for (even though Midna benefits too in TP).
Link is a bloke, at the end of the day. Blokes don't go to all that trouble for nothing and certainly not just for "friendship".
Nope. Link battles through dungeons and crazy capers for his one true love, Princess Zelda.
Despite my fierce Zelink beliefs, it's a free country and people should write what they please. On the other hand (*adopts charming and convincing voice here*), it would be such a waste for you to lavish your writing talents upon and undeserving pairing. So sad.
Aw, so cute. I express a little bit of doubt and criticize my beliefs, and people are ready to back up my true calling. ^^ You're all great.
Alright, I surrender. Maybe Link's eyes are a greyish other colour than blue. Though I do recall they once had him keep blue eyes, in the early versions, and then changed it to a more neutral black to help express emotions better.
Love,
CM
One (as in only myself, most likely) usually doesn't come across posts on romance in the LOZ on Valentine's Day. "Pataclow" then, was a most splendid conclusion to my day, a most fortunate discovery. Thank you much for the read. :3
- glances about for another comment to add -
As it seems my commentarial repertoire has run low, I shall end with a "looking forward to reading more of your LOZ one-shots and stories!" (I'm reading Only In Hyrule currently; it's quite inspiring) and a cheers.
- Opus -
A believe in friendship more than love, sometimes. I dunno if that applies to Zelda fanfiction, though. I have seen very little of Zelink TP fics; most of the TP fics are Link/Midna. I dunno what I think about that; they certainly didn't strike me as a romantic couple...
~Southpaw
P.S.
Why is Link pretty much shorter than all the girls anyway?
Of course I'm not saying that Link is better with Midna or Ilia. I find both plausible in their own way, as far as TP is concerned.
But I write mostly AUs, so what TP says is, in a way, irrelevant for me.
And I don't know why Link is so short in TP. It's really annoying. I chose to ignore that like a mule ignores her master.
Love,
CM
But say you had to pick who, out of Ilia and Midna, Link had stronger feelings for, who would you pick?
Personally, I think Ilia had more of a thing for Epona than Link by the way she just went on and on about the darn horse. :P
Also, did you notice at the end that Link was riding away from Ordon (and Ilia)? That's gotta mean something.
One last question. Would you ever write a story that didn't end up Zelink? As in Link/someone else?
I frankly think that Link considers Ilia as a very dear friend, and here the feeling is mutual. I also think he considers Midna a friend, whereas Midna feels a touch more for Link.
On the other hand, the relationship between Zelda and Link is... clearly platonic, or at least cannot give any indication that they met for snogging at any other time in the game than those three key times.
I think that the only love Link feels in TP is a love of peace and freedom (hence his riding away--who says he doesn't come back?).
Also, I'd like to mention something about Midna's departure. It's something that struck me when, having finished my first save file and starting a new one, I noticed that the VERY FIRST line of the game was, and I quote: "Do you ever feel a strange sadness as dusk falls? They say it is the only time our world intersects with theirs." Is the mirror really the only way to connect to the Twilight Realm...? I humbly believe they gave us more LinkxMidna clues than anything else.
Does that means that I'll suddenly switch over? No. I can freely say that I remain a generalist, preferring the main protagonists to stick together, without the influence of a particular game or character.
So, would I ever write a non-Zelink story? I don't know. Maybe one day. But I don't envision it just now, or don't expect that I should feel the need to. Zelink works for me, and it seems appropriate for a LoZ fanfiction.
I do suppose I could use Midna (and maybe Ilia) in forthcoming fanfics, but never as serious prospects for Link.
Love,
CM
Oh, hey, I was wondering about something for awhile.
Why, in the first cutscene with Zelda (in which Hyrule falls), does Midna refer to Zelda as the Twilight Princess? Was it intended as some sort of mockery?
Now that I think about it, there are probably more clues about Midna because, in essence, it's her story and struggle that is more entwined with Link's. She would have served as a romantically unthreatening character like Navi, except she was much more involved because of her own backstory. ...Were Ganondorf's intentions ever really clear?
~Southpaw
I think Midna couldn't resist the irony, knowing full well who she was, and probably poking fun at Zelda's situation. Remember, Midna spends the whole game underhandedly trying to get rid of the negative connotation that affects Twilight and trying to alleviate the situation ("The beautiful cover of twilight isn't that bad! We've grown quite fond of it." and so on).
I also think that Zelda, at first, didn't quite understand who Midna was. They clearly met prior to Link's transformation (hinted by Zelda knowing Midna's name), but Zelda didn't know who and what Midna was until the second castle cutscene (where she states this in plain text). As such, she probably didn't catch Midna's subtlety until much later, when she understood what Midna was trying to do.
The relationship between Zelda and Midna, in every sense of the word, needs to have a few blanks filled in. Obviously, Midna always had a head start, in spite of her victimization, but there was clearly a distant dependency between the two princesses, one that neither really appreciated until Midna became "ill" and they were somehow fused.
As for Ganondorf's intentions, it's an interesting fact that he only appears at roughly the middle of the game. Before that, it's only his underling/puppet Zant spreading the evil word, leaving us to wonder if Ganon actually appears in the game at all.
I find that Ganon's intentions were rather clear, once explained by the game, and do not necessit extrapolation, though his reasons aren't as developed as in TWW. It was clear he wanted to come back into the world of light and become all-powerful again, after being sealed into the dark realm by the sages. Possibly, he was motivated merely by his promise in OoT: "someday, when this seal is broken, that is when I will exterminate your descendants!" So maybe it was revenge.
Either way, we could ponder it and never be sure.
Love,
CM
I agree. I think Zelda and Link are the best couple out there, but I don't hate the others. Still, in my opinion, it would be a shame for my favorite Zelink author to start shipping another pairing.
Post a Comment