Friday, February 20, 2009

Okay, okay

As I write this I'm sitting in university waiting for Gabe to call me. We're going to Will's place tonight. Will, in case, I didn't mention him, is the newest addition to my friends. He's insane, a total geek, and he's about as random as the rest of us, in a very talkative and happy package. We're going for a relaxed video-viewing evening, with the possible inclusion of beer into the equation. I don't know. Frankly I'm not up for drinking these days, but you know how it goes.

Seriously. One glass and I'm wasted. I have SO lost my drinking habits.

... I can sense the accusing stares. Okay, I'm aware I haven't written in a while. Those who haven't given up on me (I got a message a while ago about a poke and a question like "are you dead?" which sort of reminded me I used to have time, a long time ago) will hopefully remember the following facts about me:

1. I'm in university;
2. I have a boyfriend;
3. And time-consuming friends/work/school projects.

Also, I am stressed.

Stress, it turns out, can strike even when you're doing just fine. To be quite frank, nothing in my life is going wrong these days. I have a wonderful, hilarious, completely adorable-slash-handsome boyfriend who looks at me with more love than I could ever write about, I have a steady almost-no-sweat income of 800$ a month, I'm studying screenwriting, and, starting next year (provided my request is accepted) I'll be doing a bachelor's in literature, more specifically, the creation of.

And yet, I'm stressed.

It could be that I'm nervous about being accepted into the lit program (although, with my current grades, I should hope it's not an issue), or simply that I don't remember the last time I had an actual day off. That is, I work in an office furniture warehouse weekends and Wednesdays, and the rest of the time I'm in school, or on the bus, or the metro, or somewhere in between trying to pull together five or six screenplays in time to view the movies we're required to take notes on (hard job? Not really, but time consuming).

The stress could also come from the fact that I have deadlines to respect, although I've dealt with those all my life, so why should they be stressful? Or from the fact that Gabe is struggling to pay his apartment in Verdun, gas for his car, studies, food, and, since yesterday, 650$ worth of car repairs, mostly because he's got a broken headlight, worn-out brakes and a flat tire.

If any of you believe I'm an expense, believe me, the only expense he makes for me is gasoline. I pay for my food, I pay for my drink, and I split expenses with him when necessary.

Thankfully, Gabe has got a new job in Verdun that should help him pay for life's expenses.

Ah, Gabe just called. His car is fixed. He's going to call me again when he arrives in Verdun from Vaudreuil, and then again when he makes it to the Berri-UQAM metro station.

The upside of this university, it turns out, is that you have access to everything without ever needing to step outside. Right now big flurries of white snow are blowing all over. We got a snowstorm two days ago, after some warm temperature had made a lot of the white stuff melt. To my left is a big bay window with a view on St-Catherine street, and a church that was modified into another one of UQAM's pavillions. This pavillion too was a church once. On the right of the bay window is the grey stone of the arches; like an alien gothic revival structure in an ugly modern brick building. People dredge by, pretending they're not windblown. It's an oddly beautiful day: the sky is snow-coloured and the trees are frosted with sugar.

Slim was supposed to be at Will's tonight. He called this morning to say he wasn't going to be there after all, claiming he didn't want to talk about it. Distance has grown between us, but mostly because I'm not available to do things anymore. Slim has no job; I have so little time for myself that whatever time I DO have, I spend with Gabe.

You would too, if you noticed the difference in the way the two of them treat me. Slim, quite frankly, only considers me as an ear to talk to, and, occasionally, an advisor. Gabe, on his part, considers me a friend, a lover, a companion. Where Slim feeds me his stories, I have few opportunities to be heard as well. By contrast, things with Gabe are balanced and natural.

Speaking of which, have I mentioned how much I love him?

Let me put it this way. All those romance oneshots I wrote (while single and completely ignorant) are a mere shadow. I could not describe the chemistry that sparks between two like-minded people even if I tried. For that, I wish to express my apologies: all the things I wrote are outdated, superficial and naive. I couldn't know until I dared to ask Gabe for a kiss.

And that, right above, sounded like I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses, except that when you spend half your time, even after three months (speaking of which, our three month anniversary was on Valentine's day, by sheer coincidence) finding out new points you have in common, and completing each other's sentences, and laughing at the same times, you sort of realise there's something there that goes beyond mere fantasy. It's concrete, and it happens for real.

For real, you hear me?

Now let me ask you this. How could I ever presume to write more romance oneshots? I would never be pleased; I'd want it to be true to reality, that wonderful reality that I wish everyone to encounter. But I can't. I don't have what it takes. I don't think anyone does. I can write passion and delirium just fine. I can write embarrassment and anxiety. I can write about feelings of love and companionship. Except there's more. More that I CAN'T write, because it's tiny, in those little infinitely small moments where a look, a touch, a smile happens that says more than words could.

Soooo I've recycled myself. These days I write dystopian original fiction, with feedback from Will. Turns out that insane bastard has enough imagination to feed any uninspired weirdo. It's practical to bounce ideas off him, if exhausting.

I'm also working on a reaction oneshot for the latest Prince of Persia, which I finished two weeks ago and found brilliantly executed. If I finally get the time to keep working on it, I'll probably release it on ff.net.

What else is there to say? Am I slowing down with the online publications? Yes. I won't hide from it. My writing time is spent on school projects and original fiction, which I'm keeping in store... for stores, maybe, one day. As you can also tell, my blogging is moving along at a less than sluggish pace, for the same reasons. What is there for me to announce that will be interesting anyway? I'm at this point in the story where the last chapter has passed and the girl got the guy and everything is going good. I'm not even looking at a sequel in which things get crappy again. I hope that day doesn't come.

How can I sound dramatic and insane when there's nothing to warrant it? I know it sounds depressing but no one wants to hear about happy people. Nothing ever happens to them. In fact, as Eva, Slim and some other animated folk (*cough* Josie *cough*) have let me know, talking about my happiness tends to make people either jealous or ticked off. Mostly because they're aware of how they don't have the same thing I do.

And you know what? That anger is justified. I used to be one of them.

"That's ridiculous," Will told me the other day. "With anyone else but you and Gabe―" Will adores Gabe; the two get along like peas in a pod― "I'd feel frustrated, and acutely aware of my singledom. But how can I resent the two of you when you kiss in front of us? You're too beautiful together to resent."

Slim told me something along those lines, although he did warn me: "Yes. You match. It's amazing how you say the same things at the same time in random circumstances. You just... fit. But goddamn, Val, I'll admit I'm jealous. I want that too."

I wish everyone could find themselves a Gabe. That way I could talk freely about how disgustingly happy he makes me!

On that note, I have to get back to homework. Maybe I'll grab a snack, too. I'm getting hungry.

To all who remain, I should hope I'll post again before another two months have passed. 0.0

Love,
Val

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was tempted to poke you with a stick and ask if you were dead too, but I figured once was enough.

Yeah I figured you were off living your "happily ever after." It's just too bad that it's busy cause you're sooo entertaining to read, obnoxiously happy or not!

Well enjoy it! Really, its a great thing... But remember us mortals once and a while and throw us a line? It'd be nice to know what you're up to, and when you're finally published. (I saw when cause I seriously doubt you'd fail if you tried...) ;-D

thatlate80schild said...

Is it odd that I find myself agreeing with every point you make?

I've met this guy. A wonderful, charming, funny and completely gorgeous guy that I'm pretty much falling head over heels for. For once in my crazy, hermit-like life, I find myself talking to him, laughing with him and dating him. Granted, we're in the early stages of the whole 'date' thing, but I want to tell people about it.

I can call my friends up and they'll listen, but if I were them I would want to tell me to shut up. Like you, I was one of them. It's hard though, keeping all that happy to yourself.

(Here via ff.net btw. I've read your fic on and off for a few years. Your blog too, but I hope that doesn't make me sound creepy in any way or form...)

SirJoshizzle said...

Nevermind that "anniversary" implies annually. But oh, I digress. :p

Oh yeah: http://sirjoshizzle.blogspot.com/2009/02/nominations-and-etc.html

Enjoy Life and Smile.

Anonymous said...

I thought about leaving a message, but I figured if you didn't have the time, then my bugging you wouldn't help any.

Having said that, I side with Will. I would enjoy hearing from you more often than lately, even if it is all happy-gushy stuff. Makes me glad someone out there has found happiness, and gives me hope for my future. But, if you're too busy, you're too busy. Like ZKS said, let us know when you finally get published.

Anonymous said...

It's good to know you're still kicking, though I wasn't really worried. I hope it's not weird that I enjoy reading your blog, because the way you write even everyday things really stands out. I can tell you'll go far.

However, though I agree with almost everything you've said, the part about not being up to writing real romance...that nobody is...well, there's some truth in that. I love my boyfriend dearly, and there's so much that passes between us that I could never render properly in text that I'm sometimes dismayed.

However, in spite of this, I continue to write, well, not romantic stories, but stories with romantic scenes at least...I think it's kind of...I don't know. Before I met him, I sometimes read those kind of fanfics and such, and wondered if really was like that. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at. And that is why I continue to write it, even though I've been woefully neglectful in finishing anything lately. In my mind, if I can give one person hope that they will find someone, that they can share a kiss or a hug or simply walking with someone, side by side, and being (and I'm sure you know what I mean by this if your writing is any indication) then it is somehow worth it and my existence as a writer has been validated.

Not trying to argue with you, just felt I would share my thoughts. I really do love your writing, and while my own somewhat pales in comparison, I feel that striving for the apparently unattainable can sometimes have surprising results.

Hope everything continues to go well for you. Wishing you the best!

Rensa said...

Just as well you stopped posting, 'cause you fell off my feed list when I switched browsers! D:

I daresay that you're probably much, much better at writing romance than you think now, having had a taste of the real deal. I can't strictly relate, but I've felt what sounds like a similar sort of awe when discovering other things, and that awe can just as easily be channeled into inspiration as it can despair.

So just keep doin' what you've been doin'! Besides, feeling that way just means you've discovered more to master :)