Saturday, August 26, 2006

Fun with Hylian history.

Yes, if you are reading this then you have obtained a hint as to what chapter 13 contains. Joys and wonders.

Frankly, it's tough making something interesting if the best way to tell it is to make either a long monologue or long descriptive paragraphs. To keep it flowing, you have to insert dialogue, comments, character sidenotes, pace changes, etc. Blegh. That's because you have to remember about those readers who're going to be skipping and reading diagonally and you want to keep the story interesting for them cheaters anyway. If I know anything about slant-readers, it's that they tend to read short paragraphs, preferably those with spoken lines.

In that sense, purists will find chapter 13 fascinating. Slackers will find it tedious and skim through it. That kind of bugs me, but there's no way around it.

@The Destined: What ignorant review? :P I have no memory of bad reviews. Except one that I put in my ff.net profile 'cause it made me laugh. In a sinister, freaky chuckle.

Oh. Speaking of reviews. Who's that guy who keeps reviewing every single one of my stories, systematically, and picks up EVERY SINGLE grammar mistake in it (even though most of them are due to uploading faults, not stupidity on my part) without reviewing the plotline even remotely?

I'd just like to say. I appreciate the help. But not the systematic, obsessive way it is presented in.

Please, guy, STOP correcting my Canadian spelling. I happen to like it that way. So what if you put it in your Word program and 'revelled' is supposed to be spelled with just one 'L'? In Canada, we spell it with two. I checked in four dictionaries!

So, whoever you are, buddy, I think you ought to know, you're just being weird. And obsessive. Harass those who need the help a tad more than me. I don't think I'm that badly off, doing my own editing and corrections.

If, however, that's too much to ask, then just go down to your local 24 hrs thing and buy yourself an El Cheapo life, or some other brand of life. They're not expensive, and they totally hit the spot. Plus, you'll find another hobby than correcting people's mistakes. Online. Just... sheesh.

EDIT: And, by the way, offering your beta-reading services through private-messaging just for the alleged privilege to read my upcoming story is not only obsessive, but it's also insulting. You're not exactly putting yourself up for kindness if you claim to have ultimate knowledge of spelling and grammar (which you don't, since, if you did, you'd bother re-reading and correcting your own spelling mistakes and typos) to everyone you bother to review.

With that out of the way, I am going to return to writing chapter 13. And making sense of it. Interestingly, I've reached page 100! Yayness! But I'm not leaving before posting another profile... Aryll's!

Character Profile: Aryll

Name: Aryll Forester
Age: Late teens.
Hair: Sun-bleached blonde
Eyes: Blue
Skin: Medium tan.
Physical particularities: Wears skull motifs and bright, cheery colours.
Residence: Her grandmother's home in Waker Islands.
Education: Finished high school, currently in the middle of college.
Job: None. She's a full-time student.
Character: She used to be shy and gentle-natured, but she's opened up in her teen years and became quirky, openly cheerful, and got some spunk. She's encouraging and enthusiastic about just anything. She enjoys solving people's problems. It must run in the family.
Likes: Anything that has to do with her brother's personal life and trying out new things.
Dislikes: Nasty people, as she calls them.
Greatest fear: Link's wrath and hangovers.
Her dream: It's hard to tell. She's keeping her mind open and her true interests hidden.

That's it for Aryll. Next time is probably going to be Impa.

Hope the post wasn't too long for you all. I had to vent. ^^

Love,
CM

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! Hylian history?! More history. At least its fictional and video game based. I think I fare better with those. No tests, right?

I confess, I skim through mediocre/bad stories to see if they get better. I'm usually disappointed though. But I think I read most stories rather thoroughly.

That was some rant. Impressive. (And completely understandable). Although it's weird; why are some people so bothered with Canadian spelling? It's not that different, it's usually one letter... and you still know what word it is!

And multi-chaptered AUs are definitely two thumbs up! (*checks hands*... yes... two thumbs.) They're like one-shots... just times 27. With a cohesive plotline and more development. Yay for multi-chaptered AUs.

You sure have an interesting philosophy teacher. I've never taken philosophy, and even though it sounds pretty interesting, it also sounds completely bamboozling.

The Destined: It seems like the schedule gods are out to get us. But, glad you like my childish phrases. They make me happy too. Especially when I use them in public and people shoot be strange looks. =)

~Southpaw

P.S.
No flames from me should ever stop you... because there's nothing to flame at.

CrazygurlMadness said...

There won't be a test on Hylian history, fear not. But I needed to give just a bit of insight on the history of the country. It's not critical information, but it gives a reason for some characters to change their relation to one another.

Plot device, Mr. Frodo. Plot device. (Sorry, Legendary Frog, but I love your flash animations!)

There's nothing to feel bad about. Skimming through stories is normal. I do it, sometimes. And it exactly for that reason that I care to make my own stories skimmable. That way, everyone can enjoy them. It's just my way of writing something that I would personally find pleasing as a reader.

I do write mostly for myself, after all.

It's not that people are bothered with Canadian spelling. It's just that they don't realise it's Canadian and automatically assume that I made a typo or don't know how to spell. To be quite honest, and I'm not looking to put down anyone or whatever, I personally find the Canadian/English spelling prettier than American. American spelling seems a bit... dry. But that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

On a side-note, said reviewer has, happily, taken to reviewing plotlines and has stopped correcting every single mistake in my stories. Thank you, guy! :) You'll see it'll get you lots of friends.

Philosophy is a mandatory course, so no matter which program you're in, the government forces you to take Phil. courses. I swear, the teacher is a real hippie. Except it's scary. She looks way too happy to have students laugh at her.

Back to chapter 13. I'm almost done with it.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Yay for Canadian spelling! I just hate it that whenever I have to write an assignment or something on Microsoft Word, and words such as "honour", "favourite", "colour", "cancelled", etc. always show up with those annoying red zig-zag lines on the bottom. And whenever I try to change it to Canadian spelling, it always turns back to American spelling.

Microsoft Word is a Canadian spelling Nazi.

As for me, I hardly ever skim through stories. But for storis that are really bad, it doesn't really matter anyway, if you skim through it or not. But as for good stories, even if the descriptions bore me a bit, I still read them, to capture the mood. I feel that skimming through a story, Fan Fiction or not, is like getting a book and reading the last page to see what happens. I feel like I'm cheating the author or something. I have such a guilty conscience. XD

And as for using childish phrases in public and getting strange looks in return...I sympathize. But it's great, isn't it, deceiving people? ;D

Even though Philosphy seems like a really interesting course, I never knew it was mandatory. Is it only mandatory in Montreal(or Quebec in general)?

We be anticipating yer uber-long 27 chapter AU story!

That was cheesy. XD
---->The Destined

CrazygurlMadness said...

I have to change the default dictionary in Word for the Canadian one, and then I'm always fine. Although since some of my assignments are in French, it also can shift to the French dictionary.

As for philosophy, yes, it is mandatory in Québec only since education, health care (I think) and language are amongst the few legal fields that are regulated by the provincial government and not the federal government.

That's why we have cegeps here (college) and the rest of Canada doesn't. In all, we have six years of elementary, five years of high school, two years of cegep/college, and any number of university years.

Cegep was invented shortly after the Baby Boom to keep the incalculable amount of teens in the province from entering the working world too fast. The idea was to slow them down and not create a wave of unemployment.

Now, they're missing people all over the place and urging us to finish our cegep as fast as possible to fill in for those who are retiring. Without bothering to cancel cegep years.

It's so stupid.

But that's just my two-cents.

Love,
CM

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I forgot that Quebec has a completely different educational system than Ontario. I suppose you learn new things every day.

And trust me to rant about spelling mistakes and then make a typo in the word "stories". My God.

Well, good luck with writing, and most importantly school!
---->The Destined