Just a thought:
When posting the summary for a fic, why is it that some authors say 'sorry, I suck at summaries, full summary inside' ?
It always seemed to me like a counter-productive statement. If you want the people to read your story so much, why do you say that your summary sucks? Is that implying that your story does not lend itself to lead-ons, or simply that you are a pathetic author altogether? I figure if someone can't write a decent summary for their own story (which typically they should know better than anyone else), why should I trust that their story is going to be any better?
(To add insult to injury a lot of authors also write it thus: "I suck at summerys". How encouraging.)
*shakes head in disbelief*
More tomorrow, when I finally get my college schedule --and perhaps even a locker partner (!), but I dare not hope.
Love,
CM
Sunday, August 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















3 comments:
Personally, that annoys me a lot. People should never put disclaimers (not like the legal ones... I mean the ones that say... I'm not very good, but... or, this isn't my best story, but...) on their work. It's annoying. My middle school teacher told people not to do that when we had to read essays we wrote out loud; and I guess I live by it now. Half the time, even if you suck at something, as long as you do it confidently, no one can really tell. I am horribly turned away from stories from being biased with their summaries. If they have spelling mistakes, if it sounds dumb and always ends with a question with an obvious answer, if it sounds like it was ripped off the back of a Nicholas Sparks book, or if it has the aforementioned disclaimer... I just ignore it. People should get better at summaries. And they should get better at their writing their stories. That might sound harsh, but I'm a very picky reader. So in short: I agree with you.
I live by the rule that in writing, you can do anything--as long as you do it well.
~Southpaw
P.S.
I've never heard of Jing: King of Bandits--but I'm not very into mangas... it does sound cool. I have a preference for rogues/thieves/bandits over the knights/paladins (I guess it's because they're a little jaded, and not always guided by their unwavering duty and goodness). Assassins can be cool, but they tend to be oversaturated with angst and rage--which also gets annoying (I'm so easly annoyed it seems). I've gotten rehooked on RE4 and am currently trying to get 5 star ratings with every character on The Mercenaries. It's such a timewaster. Oh well.
Must be getting to bed. Hope you get Chapter 12 figured out. And alas, I can't think of a desperately American expression to insert here. I guess I'll just have to settle with that.
You can say that Canada is overseas, like lovely Britney Spears did.Even though it's not an American expression, it's still desperately American. And don't forget to say that you hope we're happy living in our igloos.
XD
And, spelling mistakes really turn me off,too. Maybe minor ones I won't mind as much, but some really "out there" spelling mistakes piss me off and make me not want to read the story. You know what's even worse? No paragraphs, and slang in the narrations of the story. Yup.
Good luck with the rest of your fic, I can't wait ;)
--->The Destined
Why isn't your one-shot "Straight Shooter" on the list of "My Stories" on your profile? And, what's the fic "Model" on "My Stories"?
Sorry, just curious.
Post a Comment