The recurrent question, of course, is why do they call it Labour Day if no one works on that day? It is a question that has been plaguing me and a lot of my acquaintances for many years, and to which there seems to be no answer. Ah, humanity, how your intricacies boggle my mind.
Anyhow, I'm done with chapter 15 of OiH and have started chapter 16. That means that (hopefully), I'll be done chapter 17 at the end of the week and will post Chapter 1 next weekend. Which in turns means that all those who expect Only in Hyrule since June/July can rejoice. :-)
In any case, my anticipation of Twilight Princess has still not failed. I've been staring at gameplay footage longingly. Any avid Zelda fan knows the feeling and has been doing as I have, no matter what they claim. You know, stare at footage in slow motion to examine every last detail and feel your heart pound for more.
Maybe it's just me?
No. That's statistically impossible, as I am a Zelda fan, but not the most rabid of them. Therefore, logic proves that I do not have the worst symptoms of NeedTwilightPrincessitis. My case, though at an advanced stage, is not yet in its critical phase.
Though I feel it inside of me... creeping and crawling. *looks around in paranoia* I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth. Much that once was is lost...
Whoops, getting confused in my many loves. Sorry, my preciousss.
ANYWAY.
It's in times like AU writings that you get to enjoy returning to the good old Zelda roots to find all the possible allusions to past games that you can insert.
In fact, OiH has allowed me to delve deep into the multitude of relatively unknown items from the Legend of Zelda series and give them a second life as practical tools for the characters, or even use the names to wink at the readers.
Like the Goronade, an interesting energizing drink from the Oracle series with the incredible power to keep people awake. It's like Hyrule's version of the Red Bull! Except instead of mentioning cows, they call it after the Gorons. Go figure.
It just proves the amazingness of what one can find on Internet. I love you broadband!
Without you, I would never have known about the forthcoming Legend of Zelda game! How tragic would THAT have been??
Before I leave you to contemplate my words of wisdom (or whatever), I shall casually display another profile.
Character Profile: Ralph
Name: Ralph Ambi
Age: Mid-twenties.
Hair: Bright reddish brown
Eyes: Green
Skin: Medium tan.
Physical particularities: Rather handsome since he left his awkward teen years.
Residence: A comfortable mansion in Labrynna, where he is a titled Lord.
Education: Major in politics and diplomacy.
Job: Symbolic representative for Labrynna in social gatherings, as descendant of the late Queen Ambi.
Character: He was a grumpy child most of his life, but once he reached adulthood, he learned to relax and keep his sarcasm and cynical side for special occasions only. Now, he's mostly a teasing jerk, with a strange propensity towards protecting people and being good. He flirts, but it's mostly for the distraction than for the possible rewards.
Likes: Zelda's company, Aryll's company, parties, and, accordingly, messing with Link's interests.
Dislikes: Visible morons.
Greatest fear: To wake up the morning after with a complete stranger. Or a man. o_O
His dream: Few know that he adores the singer Nayru Ages...
Also, I've decided it might be beneficial to explain what the Hylian Alliance is. Though most of it might not appear in OiH, there can be some references here and there in the story to things that might not make much sense without this reference. That's why this update will be so big. Here goes.
The Hylian Alliance is a formation of seven different Hylian countries: Hyrule, Termina, Holodrum, Labrynna, Calatia, Minish, and the Waker Islands archipelago. Each country now has its own government, but the whole of these countries formed a country named Hylia a long time ago.
Today, they all live in peace with each other, though they were at war a few times throughout Hylian history.
Instead of posting country descriptions every week, I'd rather describe the whole lot today, once and for all, so that you don't have to search throughout the blog archives to find every last piece of the descriptions.
KEEP IN MIND that these descriptions are a fan's adaptation for an AU world and not in any way an official map of Nintendo's. Therefore, it is normal that there are some variations from original game maps. This was a level-minded choice on the author's part.
Hyrule: The place where most of the action happens. Centre of the action of Only in Hyrule.
- Marcastle: the capital. Originally called Castle Market, it changed names when it grew beyond the size of a bastion. It is a bustling, large city in the north of Hyrule, where many international companies are established. The downtown squares have a shopping area reputed as the second biggest after New Kasuto’s.
- Kakariko: Large city at the foot of the Death Mountain range. It is amongst the fastest routes towards Minish, though it isn’t as sophisticated as Marcastle.
- Goron City: Small city in the Death Mountain range. It is mostly a halt for those on the way to Calatia. It is reputed for its dormant volcano.
- Lakeside: Gritty town on the side of Lake Hylia. It is closest to the borders of Termina, whose Snow Mountain range starts beyond the lake, and Labrynna.
Termina: Country neighbouring Hyrule to the south. Advanced technologically. On friendly terms with Hyrule. Borders the ocean.
- Clock Town: Capital of Termina, in its near centre. Centre of technological development. Its main attraction is its massive clock tower after which Marcastle's palace’s is modeled. Also reputed for its summer carnival and huge fireworks shows.
- Snowy City: In the Snow Mountain range south of Hyrule. It is a scenic city reputed for its yearlong hot spring baths and spa centres.
- Great Bay: Oceanside city and large harbour. Known for its beautiful beach and its seaside laboratory, it is a cool town where the Indigo-Go’s started their career.
- Ikana City: In the canyon between Termina and Minish, its main attraction is its ancient palace. Known for its frightening rituals in honour of the dead.
Waker Islands: Archipelago off Terminian shores. Lives off tourism and high quality services. On good terms with Hyrule.
- Windfall: Capital of the archipelago. It is also the biggest harbour of the islands. Well known for its cinematographic industry, it is a town rife with restaurants and cafés of all kinds. It also has developed a natural essences type of medicine, which is steadily growing in popularity worldwide.
- Roost Peak: First airport with multi-levelled take-off lanes in the world. It is also a postal centre, with the best information system of the Hylian Alliance.
- Outset City: On the southernmost island of the archipelago, it is known for its heavy fishing industry and homely feel. The Outset soup is the city’s specialty.
- Greatfish: Main harbour and fishing centre, it was recently ravaged by a hurricane. It is currently undergoing reconstruction.
Holodrum: Country neighbouring Labrynna. Most distant from Hyrule. On friendly terms. Military based nation.
- Horon City: Reputed for its extensive military base, the capital of Holodrum is a gritty, dirty looking city. Its reputation isn’t exactly good, but it can readily protect the majority of the Hylian Alliance. The city’s look is mostly metallic and polluted, with a crazy nightlife.
- Sunken City: The Sunken City is closest to the border to Labrynna. It is known for its water sports. Their swim team is unrivalled.
- Tarm: This agricultural town is known for having participated in an incalculable amount of drug scandals. It keeps its jovial mood, though.
- Samasa: A religious centre that has been mostly abandoned. Some pilgrims still visit it, but it is steadily falling into ruin. It’s the westernmost city of the Alliance.
Labrynna: Country between Hyrule and Holodrum. On friendly terms with Hyrule. Mostly agricultural. A respected nation.
- Lynna City: The flowery capital of Labrynna, in its centre. It is a very pacifistic city, so it holds a nearly symbiotic relation with Horon and Holodrum, who defend it whenever necessary. It’s a pretty town, with well-preserved middle-ages buildings. It is well known for its arts.
- Symmetry: The closest to the Holodrum border, it is a rather plain town. It has some facilities for road-travellers, but otherwise isn’t exactly exciting.
- Crescent: Oceanside town. Renowned for its pastries, it has an economical agreement with Great Bay and Windfall about sea transport.
- Talus: Ordinary little down that livens up yearly for its well-known song festival. Located on the border of Hyrule, it produces a great number of musicians.
Calatia: Neighbouring Hyrule to the north, it’s a fashion centre and wealthy nation, on friendly terms with Hyrule.
- New Kasuto: Large capital of Calatia. It is slightly larger than Marcastle, and is known as a sophisticated, artsy fashion centre. Its market is a six level balcony-based building that can welcome many thousands of visitors at a time, making it the biggest in the Alliance. It is a lively, beautiful, rich city with lights that never go out and parties that never end.
- Tantari: Northernmost city of the Hylian Alliance. It’s the retreat place for rich designers and elites. It enjoys a nice temperature most of the year.
- Midoro: City on the edge of the Minish border. It’s mostly wooded and natural. It’s a haven for nature fans. Regular seminars on the environment are given there.
- Parapa: Sandy city on the barren Hyrulian border, Parapa is a centre for mineral exploitation and also a very advanced town, technologically speaking.
Minish: Country neighbouring Hyrule to the east. Its main fields are transformation of resources and it has strong bonds with Hyrule.
- High Town: The capital of Minish is located on a plateau in the middle of Minish plain and is formed with a strange, spiralling tower type of architecture. The people of Minish are all known to be smaller than the average Hylian. High Town is known for its welcoming folk and good craftsmen.
- Crenel: The equivalent of Kakariko, it is the closest to the Hyrulian border. It works in metallurgy and the wood industry.
- Castor Wilds: A swampy sort of city, it is built on stilts, sometimes. It is the easternmost city of the Hylian Alliance, with very fertile grounds for agriculture.
- Trilby: Closest to Termina, and more specifically, Ikana City, Trilby is by contrast a very lively, jolly sort of town, with great food and hospitality.
Additionally, there are some shops and other places to which characters in OiH refer, but they won't be explained here. The in-text descriptions are self-explanatory.
Sorry for the long text. I figure it can't hurt. Besides, you don't have to read it all.
'Til next time!
Love,
CM

















4 comments:
Wow, OiH is starting to sound a little complicated...this post reminded me of History classes, which are soon to come. :(
"The Hylian Alliance" also reminded me of 8th grade Geography classes while studying the G-7. It just seems similar to me, since it involves 7 places that have power. Sorry for my lack of wordiness. ;) I can't believe that I actually remembered that! XD
I also love the word "archipelago". I know it's weird, but I have some sort of fondness towards words that sound complicated but don't have complicated meanings.
And I know what you mean about being really obsessed with TP. As soon as I heard that there was a new Zelda game coming out, and I saw the amazing graphics and heard the songs....hysteria and obsession set in. I have a feeling that it will not end until I have gotten my Zelda fix. Which will be about 3 months after I finish the game. It's pretty sad, ever since I became obsessed with Zelda (which was only about May 2005) there hasn't been a day where I haven't thought about Zelda, or logged on to the computer and done something that doesn't have anything to do with Zelda. Something deep inside of me tells me that this is something to worry about. Oh well. ;)
For me, school starts on the 5th (tomorrow), and I'm already experiencing the "Back to School Blues". My freedom has vanished. It's funny that I should appreciate the summer vacation now that it's over. But it's always like that, isn't it?
Hopefully I'll have time to post once school starts.
'Till then,
---->The Destined
It's not that complicated in the story itself. ^^ Frankly, very little of what I described actually comes out in the narration. I just thought it'd be a good idea to at least give a referral to people.
I didn't imagine creating the Hylian Alliance in regard to any real concept. I just thought all the characters I introduce couldn't all come from the same place. Especially not with the story I was building. ^^
I've loved LoZ since I saw Ocarina of Time being played in my cousins' basement. They were arguing amongst themselves about how to obtain the Sun's Song, I think. It was back in '99. Good times.
It was obsession at first sight.
I still can't get enough of it, though it's not something that keeps me from living a normal life. Though, apparently, it's something that invades my dreams. o.0
And don't worry about school too much. Do the work they ask, have fun with friends... I actually kind of like school. Just not the homework.
I tell you, there will come a day when I'll not have to do boring homework EVER AGAIN! *stares longingly into space*
Anyhow, keep your stick on the ice. :)
Love,
CM
Ohmygod, I just realized I can comment right here!!!! (Hey, don't laugh, I'm a dork.)Cool, saves me a trip down to Hotmail, which will surely make me forget all I wanted to say anyways...
In my wild and somewhat delirious wait for TP (though I didn't come to the point of dreaming about it yet), I'm replaying OoT. And discovering even more joyful moments than the previous times.^^
And as OiH takes more shape before my eyes... well, you've been teasing us with it long enough. And now you're showing off how nice and developed and Link-including it is. *sigh* Link... *slowly falls into dreamland*
Alright, I'm off. Or I'll never make it to school tomorrow.
See you!
--SW
Scarlet, your slowness never ceases to amaze me.
As for replaying games, Prophet lent me her (brother's) copy of Majora's Mask last month. *squee* Love ya, Prophet! Constantly giving me ways to procrastinate!
But yes. Link is drool-worthy. I especially like chapter 14 for that. I know it's a teaser, but gawd, Link's hotness totally comes out in that chapter.
Although I must say, OiH focuses around Zelda, her crazy world, and her perceptions. So if you ever see Link, it'll be through her eyes, and if Link isn't in her presence, he just isn't described.
You know you love me. XD
Love,
CM
Post a Comment